Monday, January 30, 2017

Are we living in present?

Most of the philosophers or every Holy book says live in the present.  Did that mean everyone is not living in present?
If yes, why is it so?  Why an intellect or extremely talented and Supremely educated people are not able to live in present?  Also one more important issue is lack of awareness. This is again a million dollar question.  Why awareness was given at most importance in life? 
Let's look into details.
It is very easy to say live in present but it is always almost impossible to do so. Both living in present and awareness are interlinked.  Let's start digging how mind actually works.  There are mainly three parts.
1.Recorder (chitta) : A recorder stores every incident in life with emotions.  A computer can record/store data in a hard disk but without any emotions.  Here human mind stores them with emotions.  We get emotional only when it touches our heart.  Incidents touch our heart are basically which made us happy or sad. There will not be any record of neutral stuff.  For example I can not recall fully about an incident ten years ago (which food I ate on that Sunday evening) unless it made m me happy or sad. 
2. Replay (manas) : Once the record is stored, it keeps on replaying the records with emotions in terms of thoughts.  But what we are not aware is emotion gets intensified with repeated replays. Which is the main reason for a person getting angry over an incident and his anger gets intensified over the course of time. 
3. Decision faculty (buddhi/intellect) : This takes care of what decision is to be taken and his or her needs to be executed.  Also helps in analyzing what is right and what is wrong. 

Now lets take an example to understand how these three components of our mind works.

Let's take a close friend who visited my home after a long time.  I feel excited to meet him.  At this time I released a thought and fetched the record of all positive memories in  chitta. It gets the record and replays all the incidents with joy and happiness.  As all those thoughts are associated with positive emotions, I make up my mind that he is very good human being even if he is very bad. Because my mind has only positive thoughts or emotions records.  This is the reason criminals get loved by his friends as they have records of positive incidents with the criminal.
Let's take the opposite.  If I encounter someone who I hate most on the road or by incident. I start getting nervous or frustrated or angry on him because my mind has records of only negative feelings about the person.  This anger gets intensified as long as I do not take revenge on the person.  I hate him even if he is so good at heart and never harmed any one.  Which is why great people such as swami vivekananda or gandhiji has haters.
Now where is the problem. All our thoughts are with these past experiences or about future. What happens is when I encounter someone on road or something I try to fetch the record for related incident in my memory.  Then I associate with that.  So I work according to the chitta and Manas. But the reality is we do not know the person truly. We do not even aware of who we are. Human brain uses only 7%of its full capacity in his life time.  In that sense I am not using my full capacity and what I may aware of other is just 0.0001% of his/her true nature. I seldom use my other faculty buddhi when there is a new stuff. For all others,  I react rather than responding by using my decision faculty. I always make my buddhi slave of Manas, chitta.
In order to overcome from this, we need to be aware of ourselves and what is happening in my mind.  How my thoughts are getting created? Why am I getting tempted to do evil things? We should always keep eye on our thoughts,  this is called awareness.  We should accept that I do not aware of myself fully, then how can I judge other by just a few incidents?  He/she is also not aware of things.  This is called ignorance. When we start accepting that I am ignorant and do not know what to do,  then intellect comes into picture. This is only possible through intense practice of meditation, yoga and devotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment